Federal Managers Association
In the News
- TRICARE CONFLICT TO NOT AFFECT BENEFICIARIES ACCORDING TO DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE - August 10, 2016
Fight Over Lucrative TRICARE Contracts Won’t Affect Beneficiaries, Defense Says
By Kellie Lunney, Government Executive
Bid protests over the Defense Department’s latest TRICARE contract award won’t disrupt beneficiaries’ access to health care, the military health system has assured TRICARE enrollees.
“The current TRICARE contracts will remain in place until the protests are resolved,” said a statement from the military health system communications office. “The DHA’s [Defense Health Agency] top priority during this protest period is to maintain quality and continuity of care for its TRICARE beneficiaries in all regions.”
Three contractors have filed protests related to the multi-billion dollar TRICARE 2017 contracts Defense awarded late last month, including one of the winners, reportedly. Defense awarded Health Net Federal Services the TRICARE West Region contract, which is worth $18 billion over the next six years, compared to the $41 billion East Region contract awarded to Humana (the contractor currently managing TRICARE South). Health Net Federal Services, according to an Aug. 8 Federal News Radio report, filed a bid protest with the Government Accountability Office, as did losing bidders UnitedHealthcare and Wellpoint Military Care. Health Net Federal Services would not comment on the matter on Monday, but released a statement after it received the TRICARE West Region contract.
To read the full article, please click here.